Ferreting Around

I am keeping an eye on the wonderful Friendly Plastic Blog as Linda Peterson keeps sneaking in some really interesting bits and pieces.  She is also making video shorts about her FP escapades, and one of her recent film shorts included a bit about making faux stones.  A couple of years ago I too had been playing with the Friendly Plastic Pellets and created some interesting effects that I would not necessarily say looked like any natural stone, but it certainly did not look like FP.  The necklace below went with me to CHA in Chicago which is where I met up with Linda.

2007611

 

Right now seemed a good time to ferret around amongst my old samples and see what I could find.  If there was anything useful then perhaps I could give it the Jana Ewy glossy coat of Envirotex and see if I could turn my scrappy puddles of plastic into something respectable.  I found some dollops of swirled FP pellets that had been coloured with various substances including alcohol inks, pigment powders, paints and glitter.  They were just circular puddles of FP that were waiting to be reheated and made into something.   Having looked at Linda’s wire wrapped beads, I thought I could get away without reheating and simply jazz up the domed cow pats of plastic.

dsc_11582

As you can see the back and the front do not quite match up, but hey, I did not know I would want to use my experiments for anything in particular.  The reverse is similar but with some different wire wrapping and because it is slightly bigger than the other side, you don’t see my incompetance at making FP dollops of the same size!

dsc_11601

If I remember correctly I coloured the lighter areas with pigment powders and fine glitter. The darker green areas were coloured using alcohol inks I think. 

Before the wire wrapping occurred, I coated both dollops with Envirotex Lite.  It does give a wonderful gloss finish that is thick and durable, however it takes 24 hours minimum to dry and harden.  As Jana points out, if you live somewhere very hot (not the UK I think!) then a protective layer of Envirotex keeps the FP from softening with the heat.  Mostly I use spray coatings, or paint on acrylic sealants as that is all that is required for most conditions, and I can apply it easily to my 3D work.  Below is an image of another circular heap of FP experimentation that I covered with Envirotex, but then added some Lacework on top.  The Lacework is protected by a layer of brush on acrylic sealant (Duraclear Varnish by DecoArt).

dsc_1157

 

I do remember what I coloured this with – pigment powders.  One of them was a Fimo powder, the other a Luminarte Polished Pigments (picture below)

pc402-150

I particularly like these as the colour is very intense, and a little goes a long, long way.  On the Rare Bird web site I will shortly have a supply of individual pots in loads of colours, too many to list, but they are only £3 each, and last for ages. There are so many subtle shades of greens, blues, pinks and purples; it is mouthwatering.

dsc_1154

 

This was the last of the vaguely respectable dollops of coloured FP pellets, and again I worked my Lacework technique over the top of the dome that had already been covered in Envirotex.  I can’t honestly remember what this one was coloured with except that I think it must have had some Polished Pigment powder in it judging by the quality and depth of colour.

I am off to do some more ferreting and see whether I can find anything else to give a make over to.

Oh, I nearly forgot, keep an eye on the web site as I am about to bring in to stock FP pellets.

I shall have to ferret a bit more and see what else I can find to rework.

Nearly forgot, keep an eye on the web site as I am planning on getting some Pellets in to stock very soon. 

Advertisements